Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Malcolm X's "Literacy Behind Bars"


            I really enjoyed reading “Literacy Behind Bars” by Malcolm X. The entire narrative kept me very interested, but one sentence in particular at the end caught my attention: “I don’t think anybody ever got more out of going to prison than I did”. I really respect how optimistic his outlook and attitude is, as well as the fact that he made excellent use of the time he was in prison. I enjoyed how he broke down and explained his processes of studying, learning, and teaching himself. His personal motivations and drive to become more, in spite of his circumstances, are amazing to me and truly inspire me. Hearing about his struggles, his journey, and his willingness to overcome things, was pretty incredible in my opinion. This was my first time (as far as I am aware of) reading a Literacy Narrative. I enjoyed reading it and think I am starting to get a better grasp on what a Literacy Narrative is and how they are written. I knew a short amount about Malcolm X prior to reading this narrative, but now know quite a bit more. I look forward to reading more narratives and also starting on my own here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment