Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Shitty First Drafts"

In Anne Lamott's article "Shitty First Drafts", she explains the ideas and thoughts of writers, as well as their process of writing good material and how much of a process it really is. I really liked this article for several reasons. I enjoyed how she invited you into the thoughts and processes of actual writers she knows personally, and how she paints a pretty clear picture of how much work writing entails. I guess I hadn't honestly sat down and thought about the process of writing much until now, therefor; some of the processes some writers go through, is news to me. However, thinking back to my days of being in bands and writing songs for the band, I do remember having to write several drafts to actually get the finished product I was looking for. After writing several drafts, I would often times still find myself re-writing, editing and making new additions to each song. This process for me could go on for quite some time and also become very frustrating. This article opened my mind to more understanding of what good writers go through and also gave me some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment