Monday, January 14, 2013
My thoughts on reading "The Price of Reading is Eternal Vigilance".
After reading Anatole Broyard's article, "The Price of Reading is Eternal Vigilance", I quickly gathered the fact that Anatole has a deep love and passion for books and their authors. To be quite honest, it definitely seems like more of a passion, rather than a love for them. I had to read this article a couple of times, because it seemed a bit out there, as in the author seems to have some mental health issues or maybe just quite the imagination? In other words, I had to read it a couple of times because it was hard for me to interpret and understand what exactly the author was talking about; in terms of his/her feeling about books. I completely respect what works for other people, and if books and imagination work for other people, then my hats off to them. I like idea of how the author talks about turning reading into a profound experience, but I feel that he/she is perhaps taking things a little too far. Myself on the other hand, can get completely sucked into a book, but I definitely will not go as far as talking to the author of the book, being paranoid about getting crumbs in the book, cracking the authors spine, etc. The first thing that came to my mind after reading this: this author has some serious issues. . I mean, maybe I am the one who perhaps lacks imagination, but I really don't believe that is the honest truth. Then again, I am not an avid book reader and don't find myself getting lost in fantasy book realities. It felt to me that the author was quite obsessed with books, almost to a weird and controlling level.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment